LaNeva Artisan Tile is produced when we receive your order. It takes a little longer to get to you than just pulling items off the shelf, but it is worth the wait. We can produce a design perfectly for you using our many unique sizes and colors. Making handmade tile is a detailed process with many exacting steps:
- First, the raw clay needs to be rolled out into a precise thickness: Our standard thickness is 3/8" which is the perfect thickness if you are matching our tiles to stone tiles or many other handmade tiles. It also makes a great thickness for creating drama when used with machine made tile. Order the overglazed edges and you have a great play of height differences....but I digress.
- After the clay sheet is rolled, the tile shapes are cut for exactly the size, shape and quantity ordered.
- The raw clay shapes are then moved onto trays and placed on racks to dry. This drying can take up to 10 days.
- For our larger sizes, once dry, the fragile dried clay is carefully stacked into an electric kiln and fired. This makes the clay body solid and easy to handle. This is called a bisque firing. We do not bisque fire our smaller sizes.
- After cooling, we paint the glaze colors onto the clay body by hand. In our larger tile sizes, you may see our brush strokes from how we applied the glaze. This is a look that machine made tiles cannot reproduce.
- Then the tiles have to dry again.
- After the second drying, the glazed tiles are carefully stacked and fired again at temperatures between 1800-1900 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The tiles are allowed to cool, removed by hand and examined for quality.
Because LaNeva tiles are handmade, and each tile is a work of art, each tile will have variations in color, shape, and texture.
We then lay the completed tiles out to verify the quantity of the order and mesh mount if needed. All of our tiles are then packed carefully in recycled shipping boxes along with recycled packing materials and sent out to their final destination via UPS. It's a process that takes us between 4-6 weeks, but we are sure you will be thrilled with the result.
If you have additional questions, check out our FAQ page or contact us at email@example.com.